I am soooo glad that I chose this recipe. The Drunken Peaches turned out to be lightly sweet and tangy with a hint of bourbon flavor. I lightened it up a little bit by cutting down on the sugar and adding some Stevia powder. I also threw in a tsp of almond extract and a tsp of sea salt for extra flavor. The peaches paired deliciously with vanilla ice cream and also with Greek yogurt for a healthier option. Here is how you can make the recipe at home.
Inspired by Drunken Peaches by Ball brand
5 lb fresh freestone peaches
3 cups water
2.5 C sugar or 1 C sugar and 1 C stevia powder (Use pure cane sugar for best results.)
3 vanilla beans, halved crosswise
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp sea salt (or kosher salt)
6 orange slices
3/4 C bourbon
6 sterilized pint canning jars, lids and rings
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl 2/3 full of ice water. Cut lemon in half, and squeeze juice into ice water.
3. Stir together 3 cups of water and the sugar (or sugar/stevia mixture) in a large saucepan. Split vanilla bean halves lengthwise; scrape out the seeds using the flat side of your knife. Add vanilla bean and seeds to sugar mixture; cook over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to simmer gently while you fill your jars.
4. Place 1 orange slice and 1 vanilla bean half in each jar. Drain and tightly pack peach slices into jars.
5. Remove hot syrup from heat and stir in almond extract and sea salt. Ladle hot syrup into jars, leaving 1. 5 inch headspace. Add 2 TBSP bourbon to each jar, and top with syrup, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
6. Remove air bubbles and wipe each jar rim. Apply lids and rings, adjusting them finger-tight. Process jars 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat and remove the pot lid. Allow the jars to rest for 5 minutes. Remove and cool.